Vitamin B12 is an important vitamin for maintaining healthy nerve cells. It also helps in the production of the body’s genetic materials, DNA and RNA. Vitamin B12 works closely with vitamin B9, also called folate or folic acid.
It is required for proper red blood cell formation and for the development of the nervous system. Here is the list of food source from which you can get Vitamin B12:
Vegetarian Vitamin B12 Food Sources:
- Yogurt, plain, low-fat
- Milk, low-fat
- Cottage cheese
- Cheese, Swiss
- Ice cream, vanilla
Vegan Vitamin B12 Food Sources:
- Almond milk
- Coconut milk
- Nutritional yeast
- Vegan mayonnaise
Milk, yogurt and cheese, along with eggs, are the only vegetarian food items that naturally contain major levels of vitamin B12.
Benefits of Vitamin B12:
- It helps in healthy regulation of the nervous system, reducing depression, stress, and brain shrinkage.
- Vitamin B12 also protects against heart disease by curbing and improving unhealthy cholesterol levels, protecting against stroke, and high blood pressure.
- It prevents Memory Loss and Lowers Risk of Neurodegenerative Disease
- Needed for Healthy Skin and Hair
- Help to prevent cancer
- It is important for healthy skin, hair, and nails. It helps in cell reproduction and constant renewal of the skin.
- Vitamin B 12 helps to keep against cancers including breast, colon, lung, and prostate cancer.
Make sure that your body is receiving sufficient vitamin B12 by including these foods in your diet that are liver, meat, eggs, milk, cheese and some varieties of fish.
This post has been seen 262 times.